Viruses, New Planets, and You(Tube)
It’s a full house. Lyle Troxell, John Tracy, Sean Cleveland, Miles Elam, and Drew Meyer take your calls and dish up a heaping bowl of news from the world of geek.
! Geek News
- Microsoft has released a fix for Windows XP that addresses [hibernation|http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=9D20F96A-A8D6-4627-89F7-787CD9B3852C&displaylang=en]. No, not the bear kind of hibernation. This is for laptops to go to sleep for extended periods of time.
- 802.11n is further away than we thought. Either [wait until 2008|http://www.networkitweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2162596/schedule-802-11n-kit-slips-2008] or expect problems talking to each other.
- 12 planets? The [Moon may become a planet|http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060817_moon_planet.html] in a billion years (give or take)?
- [CO2 jets|http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/images/pia08658.html] at the martian south pole.
- Fun with [treadmills|http://youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI], brought to you by YouTube.com.
- Anti-virus solutions? You can try [AVG|http://free.grisoft.com/], [Avast|http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html], [McAfee|http://us.mcafee.com/root/catalog.asp?cid=11344], [Symantec|http://www.symantec.com/], [Sophos|http://www.sophos.com/], [Kaspersky|http://www.kaspersky.com/]…
- Got a recent Dell laptop? Worried about the battery? See if you [qualify for the battery recall|https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/] from Dell.
- Read about [WiMAX|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX].