News and Calls
Keeping you up to date on the week’s news and taking your calls the Geeks, Lyle Troxell, Sean Cleveland, Drew Meyer, and Miles Elam take time to whip out a great show.
! Geek News
A heaping bowl of news. Now free of trans-fats.
*! Anti-Virus Ain’t What It Used To Be
- Popular anti-virus software seem to work as an inverse of its popularity
- It is getting so bad that as much as 80% of new malware gets through
*! Space is Cool (err… hot?)
- The Geeks recomend [AVG|http://free.grisoft.com/] (see our [writup on AVG|http://geekspeak.org/shows/2006/04/01/]), or [Avast|http://avast.com].
*! Biology is Cool (err… old?)
- Quasar points to [[MECO|magnetospheric eternally collapsing object]s|http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn9620&feedId=online-news_rss20] rather than black holes?
- But just in case black holes exist, NASA has [modeled a collision|http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060724/sfm026.html] between two
- Does size actually matter? How about [200 million light-years long|http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2006-07-27-biggest-blob_x.htm?csp=15]?
- Will it go boom? A type 1a [supernova in the works|http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5204676.stm]? Soon? (Soon being relative.)
*! Building Your Own Computer
- Jurrasic Park anyone? [Soft tissue from a T. Rex|http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7285683/] as well as [10 million year-old bone marrow|http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060724_fossil_bonemarrow.html] from amphibians
*! Wedding Cakes?
- Sean recently had a great experiance with custom ordering a computer from http://ibuypower.com/.
- We mentioned http://comprec.com/ a site which helps the non-geek through the processes of picking out a computer.
- [Edith Meyer’s Cakes|http://www.edithmeyer.com/].